Re: NHTSA says ABS increases braking distance! (It doesn't say that at

To: Mike & Kerry Gigante <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: NHTSA says ABS increases braking distance! (It doesn't say that at
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:47:02 -0500
Sounds to me like Simon touched one of Mike's nerves. From my experiences:
Mercedes has good ABS,
VW Passat has good ABS,
BMW Motorcycles have great ABS,
GMC Jimmy (94) has crap for brakes includes the worst ABS I have ever tried,
Ford Van has barely passable ABS.

Another fact NHTSA has no competence addressing is that a good driver can
often outperform ABS in all conditions. I have occasionally felt it working in
several cars, but in most cases, I was approaching a stop, was on ice, and
should have slowed down sooner. That's where the experienced driver shows his
mettle; he slows down before an emergency occurs.

Jim