Re: NHTSA says ABS increases braking distance! (It doesn't say that

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NHTSA says ABS increases braking distance! (It doesn't say that
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:15:05 EST
Listers:

Just as a side note, I remember reading a magazine where they were testing an
F150 vs. a Chevy 1500 (Consumer Reports?).  They were test driving the trucks
down a fairly steep graded road with heavy/loose gravel.  One of the trucks
had ABS only on the front wheels, and the other truck had ABS on all four
corners (I don't remember which was the Bowtie and which was the Oval).  The
truck with two-wheel ABS descended the road at the driver's comfortable speed
with no problem.  The four wheel ABS truck just kept going even after the
driver mashed on the brake pedal trying to slow the truck down!  (Can you say
6000lb SUV barreling down on you in the rain?!)

If you have ever read Consumer Reports' car tests, they are brutal on
vehicles that don't perform to their liking!

Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB

PS.  Nearby where I live there is a metal plate (with that diamond crosshatch
pattern on it) in the middle of the road that covers some building's
electricals.  When it rains, that plate gets so slick I have seen cars swap
ends when they try to stop with two wheels on the plate and two wheels on the
road surface!