Re: NHTSA says ABS increases braking distance! (It doesn't say that at

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NHTSA says ABS increases braking distance! (It doesn't say that at
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:14:04 -0400
We all need to underscore the "...always keep a safe distance behind the
vehicle in front of you..." part.  Here in Virginia, we have the
"two-second" rule:  As you observe the vehicle in front of you pass a
landmark, you ought to be able to count "one thousand one, one thousand
two" before you pass the landmark yourself.  Probably most of you know
about this -  but I only learned of it a couple years ago.  But, next time
you're on the interstate, check out how long this distance is at 70 mph.
It really blew my mind the first time I tried it.  Then... try
*maintaining* it.  In moderate to heavy traffic, it is impossible - as soon
as you achieve it, somebody cuts in and you have to readjust.  After
awhile, you feel like you're going backward.

Yet it strikes me that we're dealing pretty much with the laws of physics
here.  Practically nobody observes this.  No wonder we have so many
interstate accidents.  The real wonder is that there are not a lot more.

Allen

>From: "Mike & Kerry Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
>
>I'm afraid that Simon is misrepresenting this link. I quote directly from
>the page
>
>-------
>Do cars with ABS stop more quickly than cars without?
>
>ABS is designed to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle during
>emergency braking
>situations, not make the car stop more quickly. ABS may shorten stopping
>distances on wet
>or slippery roads and many systems will shorten stopping distances on dry
>roads. On very
>soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may
>actually lengthen
> stopping distances. In wet or slippery conditions, you should still make
>sure you drive
>carefully, always keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you,
>and maintain a
>speed consistent with the road conditions.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333