Braking distance

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Braking distance
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:23:36 -0400
Well I certainly would agree that if you find it distracting,  it's not a
good idea.  I have a "gut feeling" about following distance which seems to
correspond to my perception of the "one-car-length-per-10-mph" rule, and up
to about 50-55 mph,  both of these seem to correspond to the "2-second
rule".  For years, I figured you just know when you're following too close.
Then, out on the US interstates I compared with the"2-second rule"  and I
was alarmed to discover how much that following distance should expand at
65-70 mph.  It feels almost exponential.   My old "gut feeling" criterion
is inadequate.  I repeat, I'm NOT advocating something you find
distracting,  but having done it, you can bet I'm allowing a lot more
distance at high speeds than I used to - and a LOT more than just about
every vehicle I see on high-speed roads.

BTW, I don't use off-road landmarks but rather some irregularity in the
pavement or shoulder.  This keeps mys close to the road and yields a much
more accurate perception of just when the vehicle in front crosses it.

Allen

>From: Gonaj@aol.com
>
>I never even thought of looking at my watch, but watching something at the
>side of the road rather that looking ahead.
>Maybe I just find estimating distance easier than others do.
>
>George

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333