Re: ABS experience (still long)

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: ABS experience (still long)
From: Adam Arabian <arabian@allegronet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:52:17 +0000
I knew being a grad student in michigan would come in handy someday....

A number of cars use accelerometers, but NOT for axial deceleration measurement
generally.  They are for lateral acceleration - i.e. cornering.  The ABS
operates slightly differently when cornering than when going straight (more
braking on the inside wheels I think, but I could be way off base on that.
Don't remember the specifics).  Anyway, my guess based on my limited
measurements experience is that accelerometers (or at least reasonably priced
ones) are just too noisy to be used very well for axial deceleration.

Oh, the cars that I know of that do use lateral accelerometers, are Caddy
Sevilles, Corvettes, Jaguar S series (though that one is rolled into their
traction control stuff) and a bunch more I'm sure.

YMMV, my .02, etc.

Adam Arabian

Stuck in michigan for 4 more months, then off to Sunny Wash. DC with a
disassembled '52 TD