RE: MGB Heater core

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Heater core
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:17:17 -0800

> This is Dave from Victoria Canada.
>
> Just want a bit of advice on taking the heater core
> out of my 78 B. Does it come out from under the hood?
> I can't seem to get the box apart...got the hoses off
> and everything, I can get the hampster wheel and motor
> out, but the box won't budge..undid the clips and the
> nuts holding it to the firewall. Am I just not trying
> hard enough?
> Thanks for any help you can provide
>
> Ben Carufel (mgben@funtv.com) says HI! He is doing OK
> and misses you all.

Hi,

I found that to get the heater core out you have to remove the heater box as
a unit (because of the placement and orientation of the flanges that keep
the box together).

It is reasonably simple, but has some implications:
1) Remove the screws along the bottom edge of the heater box, attaching it
to the firewall.
2) Remove the single screw at the top centre of the heater box.
3) Disconnect the heater flap control cable either at the heater box end
(behind the radio) or at the control end (behind the dash).  To disconnect
at the control end you remove the control from the dash, but it's a pain
putting it back.
4) Disconnect the hoses from the heater box
5) Pull the heater box out at the top and then up at an angle, being careful
not to catch the flap lever on the hole in the firewall.

Andy