Re: '71 B, still no start

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '71 B, still no start
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 14:00:30 -0400
How much of a spark you got?  Pale yellow or brilliant blue.  I've known of
cars that failed to start on a yellow spark.  ' Thought of timing chain
failure - but in that case you wouldn't have any spark or oil pressure.
But let me pose a question for wiser heads on the list: could a timing
chain tensioner failure throw the cam off enough to cause this?

Also, how much fuel are you getting?  Can somebody on the list suggest how
long it should take the pump to fill a one-pint glass jar?  Have you run a
compression check on this engine? (' sorry if I missed that on the thread.)
If compression is way low, compounded by weak spark, and/or weak fuel
supply, starting could be extremely difficult.  Have you tried using any
starting fluid?  If that causes it to at least fire, then I would suspect
some carburation problems.

Did you say that the car didn't run when you first looked at it, and then
they got it running later?  In that case, you might call the dealer to see
if you can find out what they did.  This may be related.  If your timing is
reasonably close, it takes three things to start an engine: fuel,
compression, and ignition.  There ain't nothin' else - so hang in there.
The longer it takes you, the more vast your acquired body of invaluable
knowledge (or at least, in my case, half-vast!).

Allen

>From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
>
>Just wanted to thank everyone on the list for all of their responses...
><<big snip>>

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333