Re: Storing engine & tranny

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Storing engine & tranny
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:04:40 -0500
Tony W. said:

>One thing I did was to squirt some 80/90 wt gear oil into the spark plug
holes and turn the engine >over by hand a bit to lubricate and prevent rust
on the walls of the cylinders.

>Should I attempt to get under the engine / tranny to drain the oil?  Should
it be stored with or without >oil?  Should I open it up and coat everything
with lithium grease?  Other ideas?

I saw the results of an Austin Healy 3000 transmission that had been left to
sit for 20 years with just the regular fluid inside.  Trace amounts of
moisture were in the unit, and the result was that all of the metal below
the filler plug was fine, but everything above was covered with a coat of
rust.  Perhaps the answer is to fill the entire thing with oil, by placing
it on its side, and noting clearly that it is chock full so that after
possibly years in the future, you will remember.  I would use something like
Redline, that doesn't attack brass fittings.

Of course, I've never done this myself, so don't take my word for it.  I
just know that the results can be disastrous if the moisture level in the
transmission is not zero.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget