Steve: Just wondering, plus more (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steve: Just wondering, plus more (long)
From: mga <mga@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:23:02 -0800 (PST)
Steve,

You are looking at a lot of work to get the car roadworthy.  I really wonder
if it's worth it.  I love MG's and have owned a lot of them over the years.
The newer MGB's (after '67) are more complex and are just that much more
difficult to fix than the old ones that I really don't think they are viable
to rejuvinate unless you get one that is not that deteriorated- if the paint
and interior are in good shape.  Sorry to be so negative, but you can dump a
lot of money into an endless pit very easily.  You would be better off to
sell it if it needs a great deal of work so that it doesn't deteriorate any
more (they do this when they sit, believe me.)  Then look for one that
someone else has dumped their heart, soul and wallet into and got
discouraged- best to get an early car.  Even if you take a loan to buy it,
you'd be better off.  And it will still require a lot of work, even if it's
been "restored."

Another factor in all this is that many of the parts you will have to buy
are absolute crap- made in Taiwan or China and don't fit right or match what
came off the car.  It is very very frustrating to try to get a shoddy new
part to fit and then have it look "so-so" after you install it.

I have a '73 B GT that I bought 13 years ago and have been renovating.  I
have so much time, energy and money in it that it's rediculous.  I've done
much of the work myself, but every time I turn around, there goes another
$100 or $300 or whatever.  I could never get my money out of it (it being a
GT makes it a worse case than if it was a roadster, of course).

Back in the '60's and '70's you could get an MGA or MGB for a few hundred
dollars that needed a clutch or a valve job, but was otherwise in very good
shape.  I used to buy them this way; do the needed repair, then drive it for
a few months or years.  The cars were new enough that they didn't need
everything replaced.  Now, the cars are so old that everything is shot
unless someone has really taken care of it or renovated the car, and they
aren't cheap now!

Don Scott