RE: Retro-fits

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Retro-fits
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:40:28 -0800
Larry Hoy had this to say:

>With most front tube shock conversions, the front lever
>shocks since they are part of the suspension, will probably
>remain in place.  So you really gain nothing.  The
>conversion is more expensive than replacement of the lever
>shocks, and you are increasing the weight of the supsension
>components.  There really isn't a whole lot to gain.

I have to disagree on this point. At least when I did the conversion the
whole front kit with shocks cost less than one new lever shock. And when
they wear out, you save over $200/axle on replacements. Of course, YMMV...

I respect originality, but I would say this conversion is practical and
inexpensive. It helps if you are already taking the front end apart to
replace bushings, etc.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149