Double De-clutching

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Double De-clutching
From: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:21:05 -0600
OK, to beat this into the ground I am going to quote Paul Frere from his
book "Sports Car and Competition Driving" (pg. 18 in my edition):

"It is well known that for a given road speed the engine runs at
different speeds according to which gear is in use. Consequently, if a
jerk is to be avoided when the driver lets the clutch in after he has
selected a new gear, the engine speed must be adjusted accordingly.[...]
When a downward shift is to be made the engine must be accelerated while
the shift is being performed. Here, quite accurate judgement is
necessary, as the engine must be accelerated by exactly the right amount
if a jerk is to be avoided when the clutch is re-engaged. Moreover, if
the down shift is being performed in order to increase acceleration or
for climbing a hill, a smooth take-up can only be achieved if the engine
is accelerated again while the drive is being taken up."

Ergo...

"[...] when the gear lever has been moved into neutral, the clutch pedal
is released for a brief moment while the engine is being accelerated
before the clutch pedal is pushed in again and the next lower gear
selected. This usually speeds up the engine by just the right amount for
the drive to be taken up smoothly, besides nursing the synchromesh
cones."

My $17.95 worth (that's how much I paid for the book),

Edwin
'77 B

"I try to think but nuthin' happens."
-- Curly Howard (the stooge)