Re: Idiot light

To: "Scott & Michelle" <mcjsr@talstar.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Idiot light
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:09:35 -0000
It could be a fault in the alt or a glitch in the switch.  Measure the
voltage on the brown/yellow with the alt plug in situ and the warning light
glowing (the cover on the back of the alt plug comes off on both of mine
allowing access to the connector), then measure the voltage on the white
circuit with the alt plug in situ and the warning light glowing.  If the
second fuse up has white wires and not white/browns you can test there, if
they are white/browns you will have to look for the white on the steering
column multi-plug for the ignition switch.

If the voltage on the brown/yellow is greater than the white then the fault
is in the alt, probably bad diode(s).  If the voltage is higher on the white
then it is probably the ignition switch.

PaulH.