Re: Starter???

To: "David Lynes" <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re: Starter???
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:26:36 -0000
I had the opposite experience, but it true that excessive lubrication will
hold dirt and cause the pinion to stick.  This started happening on a Mini
many years ago so I cleaned it carefully and put it back.  A few weeks later
it started doing it again so I took it off again and cleaned it even more
carefully.  This time it only lasted a couple of weeks, then an old-timer
said "Put a drop of oil on it."  "But the book says ..." I began, but he
interrupted and said "Never mind the book, put a drop of oil on it, but just
one drop, mind".  So I did and had no more trouble.  With the starter.

BTW the Telco I used to work for defined a drop of oil thus:  "A drop of oil
is that amount pendant from a length of 15SWG wire dipped into a container
of 5SAE oil at 65 degrees F to a depth of 1/4 of an inch, and after any
excess has fallen off."

PaulH.