Re: refinishing metal parts

To: "simon hurley" <simonsensis@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: refinishing metal parts
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:58:59 -0000
Hi, Simon.

If you want a tough, lasting result, I would start off by having the parts
grit-blasted. I have a cabinet but if you don't, you should find a local
business who will do this for you. The result is a perfectly clean piece of
metal with no rust left in any pits.
Over that, you could do one of the following (in order of desirability)...

1. Powder coat over etch primer.
2. Powder coat over bare metal.
3. Prime with a rust-preventative then paint with 2K.
4. As above but paint with enamel.

It's your choice and generally involves a combination of cost and waiting
time.

Cheers,

Dave Hill.