Re: can't remove the brake piston

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: can't remove the brake piston
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 01:24:41 -0400
I've already written on this thread once, but I should mention that Advance
Auto Parts in this area sells rebuilt calipers for the B for less than $40
each with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.   No interest
yadda yadda yadda, but it hardly makes rebuilding 'em worthwhile.  I
rebuilt 2 or 3 pairs before discovering this.  No more.

Allen

>From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
>
>Chances are, if they're stuck in the caliper you're going to want
>new pistons anyway.  Soak them in liquid wrench or PB Blaster
>overnight.  Make sure you remove the bleed screw and hoses then fill
>the inside of the caliper with the penetrating oil.  Then put the
>whole caliper into a vise and get a pair of vise grips that will
>securely grip one edge of the piston.  Turn, pull, and fight them
>out.  Then use them as ashtrays, parts holders, etc.
>
>New pistons and a rebuild kit will not cost you much when it comes
>to the safety of you and your car.  I think my total came to about
>$50 for the whole lot, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, it's an easy
>project to rebuild those suckers.
>
>Mike Lishego

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333