Re: Steering Wheel Repair

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Repair
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:17:36 -0800
At 2:05 AM -0700 2/1/00, Max wrote:
>Someone sells steering wheel repair kits, presumably using colored epoxy.
>Don't recall if I saw them in Eastwood or JC Whitney....

I had a cracked wheel--broken at 2 of 3 spokes-- from a '68 BGT, and
couldn't really get the epoxy to stick well enough.  It is a very
stressed, flexy piece,  and there isn't a lot for the epoxy to bond
to.  The main problem was that the metal spokes had broken free from
the metal core of the rim.  I tried hogging it out with a Dremel, to
give the epoxy something to key into, but that wasn't enough--it
broke loose again.  I finally ended up drilling a little hole through
the wheel rim and cutting a channel around  the circumference.  I
took a piece of safety wire and wrapped it around the end of the
spoke, laced it through the hole, and hid it in the channel, then
covered the whole thing up with black epoxy.  The wire took the
stress.  Tried to contour it well, but ended up covering everything
with a stitch-up leather wheel cover.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6