Re: Oh My Gawd

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oh My Gawd
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:02:52 -0800
I am sure each of us has his/her own opinion on these issues. My personal
feeling is that one is free (obviously) to do what one wants with one's
own car, but I would hope one would respect the bounds of good taste (so
as not to reflect negatively upon other MGers), and also that any really
radical modifications be performed on previously modified, repaired, or
otherwise imperfect specimens. In that it seems a shame, with pristine
original examples becoming rarer and more and more valuable, to swap
engines, flare fenders, or do other irreversible changes to good original
bodies. I suppose I feel a little stronger about the chrome bumper cars
in this respect -- numerically there seem to be plenty of RB cars at this
time, and I completely understand the wish to convert to chrome bumpers,
lower, and re-carburate these cars. But eventually these, too, will
become relatively scarce on the road (as opposed to museums and
junkyards).

But I don't think you could characterize the attitude of this list as
being one of "holy reverence", by any means. Perhaps one might detect an
affinity towards practical modification, aimed at improving street
performance, comfort, driveability, and reliability, as opposed to "gee
whiz" boy racer type approaches, but there is room for that as well.

Obviously, this is very much FWIW, IMHO, YMMV.

Rhbuxton@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149