Re: Oh My Gawd

To: Rhbuxton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oh My Gawd
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 21:22:26 -0500
I'm sure lots will have opinions (but I was here first! :)

Aside from concours competitions where originality is favoured, and
assuming you yourself are not a purist, then the consensus seems to me to
be that anything that maintains the elegance of the MG while still making
it better is always welcome.  Installing better performing engines,
whatever, not a problem, but I think a lot of the controversy about the "oh
my gawd" auction posting wasn't so much that they fiddled with the car, but
what they did to make it so non-MG in looks.  Personally I hated what they
did to the hood (bonnet), that upraised exdentation - totally trashed the
lines of the car, not to mention the other perversions visited upon it.

Many on this list have modified vehicles.  Certainly things like electronic
ignition make your life easier.  Whatever restores the power and handling
seem to be regarded positively.  Many lister's cars are primary modes of
transportation, so whatever makes it more reliable is also praised.  The
cars are known for their beauty, elegance, handling, and spirit.  If it
improves upon that, great.  If it takes away from it (say, you added power
but trashed the look and made it look like a street car), then that's not
viewed so well.  Personally I want the damned thing to start, run well,
handle beautifully, and look great.  If that means that I have improved
technology ignition/coils/shocks/brakes/carb, whatever, it's okay with me
as long as people can still look at it and know instantly it's an MG.  Ya
wanna slap a Rolls Royce grill on the front, buy a VW... :)

FWIW, IMHO, MTCW, OMD, etc.

- Tab