Non LBC-Cam Clatter

To: "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non LBC-Cam Clatter
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 21:54:53 -0000
Hello All.

My current wash & go car is a '91 Vauxhall Carlton CDXi and it has a strange
fault.
In a nutshell, the camshaft clatters and on a bad day, it can sound like a
diesel. However, today, it made no noise at all, until the very end of a
stop/go journey of 40 miles or so.
The cam also made no noise for the first 1,000 miles or so that I owned it;
it has now covered 137,000 miles.
The only connection I can make is that a low ambient temperature (about 2.5C
today) will keep it quiet. But, it started to get noisy this evening, when
the air temperature was actually colder than that.
So far, I've tried...

Thicker oil (20/50)-no difference
Stock oil (10/30)- no difference
Looking at the cam-some 'wiping' wear but no visible pitting.

It obviously sounds like a leaky hydraulic follower but I still can't fathom
why it should be silent at one time and noisy at another.

Any ideas from anyone who has experience in this would be gartefully
received, particulalry concerning whether replacing the cam & followers is a
head-off job or not. Haynes say it is but I can't see how the cam could be
removed without having to loosen the cam carrier, which is held by the head
bolts.

RSVP.

Dave Hill

UK

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html