Re: Midget Hood (bonnet repair)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midget Hood (bonnet repair)
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:10:13 -0500
Larry declared:

>Went through this very recently. You can not get the outer panel. Period.
>Ed of JustBrits found the inner one, but not the outer one. I did speak
>to someone in Canada that had one left but my body guy decided to try to
>straighten the one I had. Don't have the number handy on this machine but
>I'll look over the weekend and let you know. I suspect that you are
>stuck. I also had someone tell me that Moss maybe had some returned ones
>that you might be able to get a little cheaper, might be rumor. Kelvin??

I'm going through the same searching process right now.  Here is what I can
determine to the best of my knowledge:

There are two sources in the world for Midget bonnets.  One is an
aftermarket item, which I suspect is what Moss carries.  They are much more
difficult to fit, and that is why Moss sometimes has used one's available.
If you are interested in a challenge that might involve metal bending or
cutting, you might make out well though, and the used bonnets are often
painted or primed already.  (This info came from a former Moss employee who
whispered at the retail counter that I shouldn't buy their bonnet, but look
for a used one on the Internet).

There is also a bonnet that is made from the original tooling in England.  I
do not know of a source, but my local parts vendor and British Car guru
believes he can find a BMIHT-related supplier who can get one.  They are
probably more expensive, but I think that non-straight body panels are an
eyesore, and I'd rather pay up for a perfect replacement, than save $200 and
have something that isn't quite up to snuff.  Over the decades that I hope
the car will last, the extra cost seems slight.

Judging from aesthetics, I think that the Moss sort of bonnet might be
better suited to a rubber bumper Midget, since the bumper attracts attention
away from the other features.  If Trevor Boicey is still on the list
(haven't noticed a post in a while), he might still have a decent used
Midget bonnet for sale.

And speaking of Moss aftermarket junk, I bought, and then immediately
returned a Sprite bonnet badge.  It was made completely of plastic, with
some sort of sticker/laminate on it.  It was already flaking off before it
came out of the wrapping.  It was such a lump of drek that even the most
kindhearted listmember would laugh me out of the LBC hobby if they saw it on
the front of my car.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget