Midget 1500 head mods and my plans for the car next month

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Midget 1500 head mods and my plans for the car next month
From: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:46:46 -0500
Hey folks.

I'm still gearing up for my trip to MGTs next month.  Current list of things
I want to do while I'm there:

(remember, it's a '78 Midget 1500, no comments Jay)

1. Find out why it's not running (still assuming that it'll be ignition
related)
2. Pull engine and install new tranny
3. Change and pin thrust washers
4. Install new oil pump
5. Install new Borg and Beck Clutch
6. Change engine and tranny mounts
7. Install header
8. Convert single ZS carb to twin HS4's
9. Monza exhaust (maybe, not decided yet)
10. New reverse switch on tranny
11. new water pump
12. used radiator and shroud
13. used heater core (assuming I ruined the other one)

And these are things I'd like to do,  but I'm not sure how much work is
involved.

1.  From the John Twist article and list member suggestions "draw out the
oil pump shaft
housing and increase the diameter of the center oil gallery from 1/4 inch to
5/16 inch
(doubling the cross sectional area, hence doubling the oil available). "

Can this be done without having to dismantle the entire engine?   I'd like
to do this as the engine oil pressure can get REALLY low in the summer when
it's hot,  but I also don't have an endless supply of cash.

2.  Also,  port and shave the head.  I've been reading the "Theory and
Practice Of Cylinder Head Modification" by Vizard.  I'm not very far yet,
but with almost two hours of commuting time a day,  I'll have read a lot
(maybe the whole thing) within a few weeks.  How difficult is this?  Vizard
makes it seem that anyone with a brain, and a few tools (like a dremel w/
flex shaft) can port and polish a head.  Is this a realistic approach for me
to take?  Can it be done by a shade tree mechanic?  I bought a complete head
(still waiting for it) for less than $50 bucks total from a '77 Spitfire
that the guy SWEARS is in good shape.  Ready to bolt on, as he puts it.  It
does have all the valves, rockers, guides, etc...  Even the valve cover.  If
I use this one,  I'll have time to work on my head (for the car, wiseguys).
I'm sure the valves on mine are shot after that whole 6 cylinder ignition on
a 1500 spectacle that I suspect is the reason the car's not running now.  I
want to shave a little off it anyway to increase compression.  Should I just
let the machine shop do it all?  I know I can't shave it without a milling
machine (i.e. I can't shave it myself).

So the net summary of questions is:

1. Can I port and polish the head myself or let a good machine shop do it?
2. Should I have it shaved?
3. Can I have the center oil gallery increased easily without undoing the
entire engine?
4. Is the above a machine shop only job?
5. Is there anything else I should do while I have the engine out?
6. and the biggie:  How will all this affect my emissions as the car needs
to be inspected by the end of April in order to remain registered?

All opinions welcomed.  All wisea$$ comments ignored.  <grin>

Thanks Mike

Oh yeah,  what's a reasonable price for all this work?  I don't expect Bob
to charge me an unfair price (I'm certain he won't), but this is a saving
month for the work and a good guess as to how much I have to save would be
helpful.  The SO's already irked that we aren't going anywhere till the end
of April.  I already have the tranny, carbs, manifold, linkage, oil pump,
radiator, heater core, shroud, clutch, and spare head.

CREDIT | FIRST
SUISSE | BOSTON
FID Product Control
Eleven Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
(212)325-8646

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.