Re: Tie Rods

To: "Tom Wagner" <twagner@pdq.net>, "mg" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Rods
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 08:05:35 -0800
Ray Easterby's method for removing the tie rod ends certainly works, but why
go to all that trouble if all you are going to do is replace the rack boots?
Once you have removed the tie rod end from the steering arm, the next thing
is what? Exactly - you remove the end from the tie rod! So, save some
effort, leave the tie rod end connected to the steering arm and simply
unscrew the tie rod out of it!

To preserve your toe-in (the only part of an MGs alignment that is
adjustable, there are two things you can do: first, before you undo
anything, put a piece of tape on the tread of each tire, mark a pencil line
on each, measure between these lines and record that number. Next, unlock
the locknut for the tie rod end just enough to allow the tie rod to turn.
Then screw the tie-rod out of the end (loosen the small boot clamp first!).
Once the tie rod is out of the end, remove the locknut, counting the number
of flats as you do so. When reassembling, thread it back on the same number
of flats, then screw the rod into the end until the nut touches the end.
After you tighten the nut against the end, you should be back in the same
place as you started. After doing both sides, check the distance between
your pencil marks on the tape.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center