Re: Tie Rods

To: twagner@pdq.net
Subject: Re: Tie Rods
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:54:33 -0500
Tom,
  The way I've done it is crude but it works.
  First, make a chalk mark on the inside of each front tire.  With the
marks horizontal, measure exactly between those two marks.  Write down
the measurement.
  Second, make a mark on the exposed threads of each tie-rod end with a
spot of paint or typewriter correction fluid.
  What you are trying to do here is to establish the toe-in measurement
that the car already has.  One measurement should do it, but two makes it
more certain that you have the exact location to which to return.
  Holding a wrench on the flat in the tie-rod, back off the locknut at
the tie-rod end one flat. Leave that nut there, unmoved. It will have
moved one thread (one turn) into your paint mark.    Using the wrench on
the flat, unscrew the tie rod from the tie-rod end until it's out.  Then
pull off the old gaiter and install the new.
  You did clean all this area to a pristine condition first, didn't you.
Use paint thinner on a sprayer, or WD 40, or something---just make sure
that no grit can get into the gears.
  Put the tie-rod back into the tie-rod end and turn it until the nut
(it's turning on the tie-rod) is at the one thread (one turn) point where
you started.  Turn the nut back. You're done with that side.
  Other side is the same, except that you have to get the oil into the
rack.  This is messy and not efficient-you'll spill the smelly stuff all
over your legs.  What I do is to look into the WS manual and find out how
much oil is supposed to be in there. I think it's a cup and a half, but
look it up.
  I hook up the large part of the gaiters and tighten the clamp. Then,
using a baster or a large plastic syringe that you can get from your
veterinarian (maybe a cooperative pharmcist will part with one, but they
seem to think self-injections with hypoid 90 are an increasing threat to
public health)  you slip the squirty end into the small end of the gaiter
and push in the oil you calculated you need. Then, just clamp it snug.
That's how I do it. Other ways include pulling apart the little steering
column damper  and making a small hole in the new gaiter that you fill
(the hole) with silicone.
  You do need to avoid over-filling. The gaiters must be able to stretch
and compress, so you can't just dump in the couple of quarts that the
thing will probably hold- you must just use enough, though I don't
suppose an extra half cup would cause any troubles.
Bob