Clutch Done!!

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Done!!
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:08:47 -0800
Success!  This weekend I pulled the engine w/ transmission and replaced
the clutch, rear main oil seal, front trans oil seal, oil pressure release
valve, and a bunch of other little things.  Took me 19 hours total,
and I had a friend helping most of the time.  Pictures will be available
soon :)  Suddenly all the other jobs I have to do seem trivial!!

Ran into a couple problems, mostly just old bolts and studs snapping off.
I do have a few post-op questions though:

- When reattaching the propshaft to the tranny, I almost stripped one of
the bolts.  I used some washers to shim the nut out so it could bite
some "fresh" threads but I'm pretty nervous about it and I drove home
really carefully.  When I had the tranny out though, it looked like
the bolts wouldn't have enough travel to be removed from the holes.
Is that the case?? What's the solution?

- I had a hell of a time getting the LH engine mount into position
(manifold side).  It was too far forward, even with the RH mount in
place and the tranny crossmember all bolted in.  I had to really reef
on the engine with a crowbar to get three of the four mount bolts into
place and the rubber is really stretched.  Has anyone else seen this
problem?

I was super nervous starting it up again but it runs like a champ!  The
engine even sounds a bit different, maybe because of the new manifold
gasket?  Anyway, the clutch and everything seems to work just like it
should so I'm pretty happy.

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   http://www.mgb.bc.ca/   (_o____o_)