Re: clutch chirp

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch chirp
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:27:19 -0700
At 25 Feb 2000 08:09:57 -0500:

>>At 07:56 PM 2/24/00 +0000, you wrote:
>> >Does it do it just as the pedal has taken up the free play and started to
>> >apply pressure to the clutch?  Do you have a roller-bearing
>> release-bearing?
>> >If the answer to both of these is 'yes' welcome to the club.  I'm ignoring
>> >it until something else needs doing, at which point I shall drop said
>> >bearing in the nearest canal and fit a new carbon one.
>>

>>A slight pressure on the clutch doe cause it to go away.
>>

>>thanks
>>BRUCE

I think this is more ominous - I had what sounds like the same problem. A
slight chirping sound, just barely touching the clutch would make it go
away. Since it was such a slight sound, I ignored it. It took about six
months or so before it happened....

I had stopped at a stop sign when the clutch died. The piston rod popped
out of the slave cylinder. I attempted a road side repair unsuccessfully
and ended up driving the car home in second gear. When I removed the
clutch, I found that the pressure plate had worn to the point that the part
the throw out bearing presses on was completely gone. The rough surface of
the pressure plate against the throw out bearing surface was causing the
chirping sound and accelerated wear. Finally the travel was excessive
enough to cause the rod to pop out of the slave cylinder.

Still, I wouldn't do anything differently. The car got me home okay. Then
it was around $100 for the clutch kit and a weekend under the car.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT