Engine removal & Tuning guff

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine removal & Tuning guff
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:38:05 +1100
Just an update. The MGA's engine and box came out tonight. :) What a oil
covered mess, but at least its out. Not too much of a struggle thanks to a
little help from a patient mate. :) Now she has a date with a steam cleaning
machine I think. 40yrs of grunge. Yuky. Tomorrow night the motor goes up on
the stand for disassembly to find the cause of the knocking. Looking at the
oil pan, it's very slightly cracked. Explains one oil leak. I am beginning
to wonder (if it's a big end failure, not crank) that I might have
experienced oil surge. I was climbing a VERY steep hill at the time at
around 5000rpm. Could this be possible? I noticed someone else asked where
to get a baffle from, eargerly awaiting that reply.

Anyway I'm in the process of deciding what to do to the motor to make this
experience all worthwhile, in the form of some extra, low cost I hope,
horsies. <G> Here is my list, feel free to add to it for fun. :) Motor is
currently 7.6:1 GCR. Low.

New Clutch Plate, Maybe Cover (Comments?) & Throwout bearing
70/30 3/4race type Cam, lift to .450"
Eyebrows in block
Engine fully balanced
New Timing Chain
Lighten Flywheel (I am real iffy on this as it is cast - comments?)
Crossdrill crank journal oilways
Add oil cooler with thermo switch and electric rad. fan.

Now, to get the GCR up to help that cam out, I am considering a couple of
options and aiming for 9:1/9.5:1 max. Cyl head is perfect, as is ignition
system and carbs. Head has new 1.6 ratio Roller Rockers. The head is off an
early MGB with 44cc balanced chambers.

Option 1
Bore her out, deck the block to bring the dished pistons level with the
block face and take approx 025" off the head. Pistons would be +11". Large,
approx 1700cc. Can the block take it? I have heard of people going to 1800.
No, I don't want to put a B engine in her. This option will give me around
9:1 gcr.

Option 2
Fit Flat top pistons, +020, deck block as above. That would take her to
9.5:1. Seems borderline, but I can run Premium unleaded or the new 98 RON
Shell Optimax which is arriving here very soon. I don't think it will be a
problem as the ECR is almost the same as it is with a stock cam and 8.3:1
GCR but would like to hear comments from people running that sort of GCR
with a cam as above. Both options call for a revisit of pushrod lengths I
guess.

I suspect option one will give me more torque, and 2 more top end power. I
like the way my 1600 revs, am partial to a wild ride so am leaning towards
2.

C'mon give me some ideas, this is fun. :) The gross work is (almost) over,
let the fun stuff begin. <G>

Cheers,
Neil
--