Re: Whoosh..now grapes

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: Whoosh..now grapes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:26:07 EST
neilc@apphosting.com writes:

<< > Hey Neil.  BTDT.  Does it look something like this?
 >     http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/grapes/grapes1.htm >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Barney,

I liked your Grapes of Wrath page.  Here's my story.  Add it to your page if
you wish.

A long time ago I was traveling down the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey
in my '67 Rover 2000TC on my way to Wildwood for a vacation weekend.  I heard
a clunking noise from the rear but everything still worked OK, so I pulled
over in a rest stop to take a look.  I had lost a bolt that held one side of
the differential to the frame, and the diff. housing was hanging at an angle.
 This car had independent rear suspension and inboard disk brakes, so I
didn't want to drive it unsecured and hanging by the u-joints.

The bolt was long gone so my wife and I started looking around on the ground
for a similar size bolt that may have fallen off another car.  And we
actually found one!  Correct threads but longer than the original, it only
had threads half way down to a plain shank, so it actually worked fine.

I don't remember ever replacing that old bolt when I got home, and I never
had a recurrence of the problem.  These days with most cars having metric
hardware, I may not have been so lucky.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget