Very cold cranks!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Very cold cranks!
From: Transmancat@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:59:00 EST
Hi Guys
The cryogenic process that I recommended to Neil is not new. It has been
around for many years as Trevor also told us. It involves taking the
crankshaft down to a temperature of around-250 degrees and then slowly
raising the temperature to +300 degrees. This process changes the metallic
structure of the part so much that "tests have shown that the strength of the
crank is increased by some 200%" (quotation from the company blurb)!

Now, I am also an Engineer and was a college professor for 10 years teaching
the subject, and I looked at these results very closely (all the time I am
saying to myself, this looks like a load of &*%$). As I do not want (cannot
afford) to spend $5k on having a special crank made for my race car. I
deduced that even if the publicity material is only telling us a quarter of
the truth I will have a much stronger crank for less than one-tenth of the
price!
The material I read certainly convinced me it was worth a try, and try it I
will! If the crank breaks then I am no worse off than I would have been with
a stock crank and only lost a few hundred $$$. If it lasts then I have a good
result.

I will not criticize something that I know little about, what I will do is
have an open mind to ANY newly developed technology that I happen to come
across.
I did have a link (cannot find it) to a website that showed some details,
etc., but the filing system on the computer does not seem to work as well the
filing system in the old gray steel cabinet with all the paper in it!  It has
nothing to do with the fact that I am on the computer and the lady wife does
the hard copy filings!!!!!!! (that's not what she says, but...)

They tell me that the metal goes through a similar process to us humans when
we go from a very hot steam room and jump into a plunge pool of ice cold
water.
I can tell you guys that, IT WOULD HAVE AN AFFECT UPON ME!
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . BTW it is 80 degrees in Texas.

I hope this helps. I think that this kind if discussion is interesting and
useful to most people on the list. I hope that we have more mail like it.

Regards,
John J, Black
http://www.waterloo-dtr.com
Agents for  Vicarage  Jaguar