Re: UPDATE 2: Engine Noise, Power Loss

To: "Alex Baroiant" <superman100@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: UPDATE 2: Engine Noise, Power Loss
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 21:52:22 -0600
At 06:03 PM 3/4/2000 -0800, Alex Baroiant wrote:
>.... The gasket was MISSING a chunk about 3/4" long between cylinders #1
and #2...It is a copper gasket too, which makes this really interesting!

>Should I have the bottom of the cylinder head resurfaced, or just throw a
new gasket in there? ....

Find a really straight straight-edge and lay it across the surface of the
head in the area where the gasket blew.  Look from the front and shine a
light from the back.  If you can see the light shining under the
straight-edge, then the head needs to be resurfaced.  If no light
underneath, then you can put it back together with a new gasket.  I would
recommend using a fiber gasket.  I have had much better luck with those.
Any time I ever tried to replace a blown gasket with a copper one it blew
out again in short order.  The fiber gaskets were standard on '75-'80 MGBs.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg