Re: UPDATE 2: Engine Noise, Power Loss

To: "Chuck Young" <kb7cg@anv.net>, "Alex Baroiant" <superman100@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: UPDATE 2: Engine Noise, Power Loss
From: "David Deutsch" <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 18:30:11 -0500
Did I really think I was going to walk away from this with out an
explanation?
Bs tend to like developing a coolant leak in the area between 2 and 3
cylinder on the passenger side between the block and head.  Soooo what John
recommends is to take two strands of very thin copper wire (like from
stranded speaker wire) and lay them atop the block between the water passage
holes and outer edge then install gasket and head. I use lengths of about
6".  I have had 5 occasions to install heads on Bs the first two I used
copper gaskets with out the wire strands and both developed the coolant leak
about 1,500 miles later.  The third I used copper gasket and the wires with
no leak but did blow the gasket between 1 and 2 cylinders about 15,000 miles
later. The 4th and 5th repairs got composite gaskets and the wire strands
and are both doing well 11 and 9 months later.
Safety Fast,
David Deutsch