Re: Headlights and cap letter meaning

To: "Michael Torrusio" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Headlights and cap letter meaning
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 16:19:48 -0000
Usually one has to remove the chrome ring around the headlight to reveal two
adjuster screws - one for height and one for angle.  Removing the ring is an
art in itself.  Most have no fixing screw and are retained by lips at the
top of the bowl and a spring-clip at the bottom although the exact method
changed slightly over the years.  You are supposed to be able to do it by
pressing down on the top of the ring with one hand and prising the bottom
forward with the other, but the spring clip usually rusts and gets stiff so
you may have to lever it forward with a wide-bladed screwdriver using a
thick cloth pad as a cushion on the fulcrum, which has to be the edge of the
wing.

Once off you may well be able to make a hooked 'puller' that will slip
between headlight and ring to save you levering against the wing in future.

PaulH.