rebuilding brake M/C

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: rebuilding brake M/C
From: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 19:46:15 -0800
Howdy -- Thanks to all the folks who helped me decide to do the entire
brake system at once!  I found that (in addition to the gunk in the
front calipers) that one rear cylinder was completely frozen.

I opted to have a go at rebuilding the various components, and have
had ok luck so far.  The brake master cylinder has me a bit perplexed
though.  This is on a 74.5 MGB (RB) with the rectangular reservoir
(dual system?).  According to my various books, I am supposed to
remove the ring from the piston and remove the spring, etc.  My
problem is, how do I remove that ring?  It does not appear to be split
(I could be blind), and even if it is, how do I do it without scoring
the piston?

Thanks much for any additional help -- I am getting depressed missing
all the sunny days in Seattle!

cheers

bart
74.5 RBB -- sans brake and clutch hydraulics