Re: Brake adjuster

To: hlundin@islc.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake adjuster
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:51:30 EST
In a message dated 3/7/00 6:54:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, hlundin@islc.net
writes:

<< I just bought a 1980 MGB and when I tried to adjust the brakes the adjuster
 was frozen. Any suggestions as to how to break ir loose? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If the adjuster is frozen, there are probably more problems inside the drums.
 Remove the drum and fix everything!  Trying to free a frozen adjuster may
make things worse and you really don't want to take a chance with your
brakes...they should work perfectly.  Rear brake parts are fairly inexpensive.

The adjusters on my Midget were pretty gunked up.  I took everything apart
and cleaned them in the parts washer.  Then reassembled with a thin coat of
lithium grease.  They work fine now.  I also replaced the shoes, wheel
cylinders, all the springs, brake pipes, flex hoses, MC, front rotors, had
the drums cut, and rebuilt the front calipers.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport