Re: Time to decide..

To: "Steven Miller" <bonding@hotmail.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Time to decide..
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:04:50 -0500
Things don't sound that bad. There are a lot of drivers out there that
would die for oil pressure like that. That is fine. The tranny - they all
do that. The shocks, probably, and the same for front suspension. But
hey, what do you want for a 26 year old car.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 3/9/00 4:10 PM, bonding@hotmail.com made the
profound statement:

>     It is soon reaching the time that I am going to have to make a decision
>about my MG.  It is a 1974 chrome bumpered Midget.  In may I will have owned
>this car for two years, and over 20,000 miles.  This is the first car that I
>have ever been unwilling to give up.
>     With that said, it does have a few problems.  All right, a-lot of
>problems.  Engine, has what on any other car I would consider a fatal oil
>leak.  No I cannot tell with out cleaning the engine where it is coming
>from, there is also a question of oil pressure, when warm 20 at Idle and 55
>at speed.  Also, the transmission while it does not normally grind it does
>need to be pulled towards second gear or it will grind when going into
>first. Also whines when in first....
>     The body is rough from poor bodywork done by the previous owner. Also
>bad wiring (surprise) although everything works, nothing matches the book
>(haynes).  Tack on to all of this the fact that for all I know the lever
>shocks are original, there is some vibration at speed and the front end
>should be rebuilt.
>     So I am finally going to ask my questions<g>.  I am keeping this car
>even if it ends up as a lawn ornament.  I want to rebuild this car.  No I do
>not want a show car, but I do want to do it myself.  I have never rebuilt a
>car, but even if I drive some of you off of the list I am going to attempt
>this.  So is there anyone out there that wants to take a look and tell me
>that it is not as bad as I think?  I live in Troy, New York, USA (upstate
>NY) and am willing to drive it to you.  Also I am going to be looking for
>another MG, either one in better shape to drive while I restore/destroy my
>baby or one in worse shape that I can victimize before I hurt mine.  It is
>probably going to be an MGB so are the things to look for the same on an MGB
>the same as Midget?  Last Question...Anyone in the area rebuilding an MG
>that I can look over the shoulder at?
>
>Thanks again for all of the help
>
>Steve Miller
>1974 MG Midget (beware heroic expectations)
>1982 Chrysler Lebaron convertible (anyone want it?)
>1994 Buick Century (Unnamed at this time)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section