Intermittent wire wheel vibration

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intermittent wire wheel vibration
From: BONNILA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:16:40 EST
I'm having a strange wheel balance problem with the wire wheels on my 68
MGCGT. At approx 60 mph I get a severe steering wheel vibration which
normally indicates a a wheel balancing problem. The vibration goes away at
70mph. When I decelerate back down to 60mph, the previous vibration is gone.
A few minutes later at that speed and the vibration returns.

My local mechanic says that this is more symptomatic of bent rims or an
improperly secured tire than the wires being out of tune or the wheel needing
balancing.

Has anyone had this problem? Any comments?