Re: Was '75 MGB for sale now travel

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was '75 MGB for sale now travel
From: "mrayborn" <mrayborn@merlin.ebicom.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:32:24 -0600
Hi folks,

I'm a lurker around here, but I wanted to offer a different view. I live in
Mississippi. We don't seem to have a lot of MG's in this area.

I bought my first B, 1980, actually for my daughter, in Oklahoma City, OK.
750 miles away. I made it a weekend trip.  I asked a multitude of questions
by phone and the owner was exactingly honest in his description. I enjoyed
seeing a part of the US that I had never visited before and I got a GREAT
DEAL on a B! (Excite classifieds)

I bought my '72CB B project car from a nice gentleman in Houston, TX. About
450 miles away. This was a nice one-day outing for my wife and I. Also,
another GREAT DEAL on a B! (Thrifty Nickel online)

I bought a 1972 parts car  from a fellow lister, David Darby, in Southwest
Missouri, about 650 miles away. I got to meet a very interesting guy, see
some nice MG STUFF, and visited Branson, MO and Eureka Springs, AR to boot!!
Pulling a trailer along those narrow, winding streets in Eureka Springs was
a BIT TEDIOUS, but all-in-all, a very nice 3-day mini-vacation for my
family. GREAT DEAL on a parts car! Thanks again, David!! (mgs list)

Thursday, last,  I journeyed to St. Louis, MO. Again, 650 miles away.  I had
finally located a parts car with an overdrive transmission. 1976 B, strong
engine, good overdrive, new wheel cylinders, front bearings, u-joints, tires
on decent ro-styles. Good top; good glass: all gauges work. Bad shocks,
non-working manual choke on a rough-idling Zenith carb; Poor interior, fair
paint, rust in rockers, floor, and wheel-wells.   I paid $1000 for the car
and it cost me $200 in fuel, food and lodging to go get it. I met a nice
fellow MGer, Robert Rushing, and his friend, John Mangles,  who owns a
garage, Hi Tech Collision Repair,  speciallizing in MGs. I saw a beautifully
restored '67 B, and a couple more CBBs in various stages of restoration.
(mgcc classifieds)

 I drove this car in the country yesterday, and I drove it to work (20
miles) today. Overdrive is WONDERFUL!!  Even with the rusted out rockers, I
have had a couple of compliments on the car already. I think I'm going to
drive it this summer while I finish my '72.

ANYWAY,  If you like to travel, hunting for MG's and accessories can be a
great EXCUSE for seeing new sights. And even now with higher fuel prices,
traveling is still relatively inexpensive entertainment.

The downside of this is that I have a road atlas filled with spots marked
"MUST EXPERIENCE THIS IN AN MG WITH THE TOP DOWN!".

Here are a few:
Anywhere in Southwestern MO and Northeastern AR: Narrow, curvy(understated),
hilly, scenic highways TO DIE FOR!!
Los Angeles to San Diego on Hwy 1
Flagstaff, AZ in the spring
Albuquerque, NM lights at night from the west on I40
Miami to Key West on Hwy 1
Winslow, AZ on Route 66
Chatanooga, TN in early October
Madison County, IA in summer

Anybody else got any "MUST BE IN AN MG" places?

Regards,
Mark
1972 B looking a lot like a 67
1976 B temporary enjoyment