Re: window problem

To: stephanie.gibbs@tufts.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: window problem
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:15:55 EST
In a message dated 3/13/00 4:08:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stephanie.gibbs@tufts.edu writes:

<< My Midget has developed a problem with the driver's side window:
 specifically, the window rolled down with no problems, but now does not
 want to be raised.  Will I need to completely disassemble the door in
 order to realign the window within?  If so, how complicated is this
 process (keeping in mind that I live in Boston and have limited access
 to a decent work area)?  Any assistance would be appreciated! >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I haven't gotten this far yet with my Midget, but I will be doing it shortly
so I can lube the window crank mechanism and replace the rubber seals.  I
have removed many car door panels in the past and it is usually a
straightforward job.

You usually have to remove the window crank and any trim parts first. The
trim parts (around the door opening handle) are normally held on with a few
hidden screws.  The handle itself will not have to be removed.  The window
crank may have a clip that has to be removed, or a screw in the middle of it.
 Then, the door panels are held on with clips around the perimeter.  Insert a
flat screwdriver at the bottom of the panel, near one of the clips and prise
outward.  Move to the next clip and do the same.  The panel will become
easier to pull out, and you can then just pull it off.

Reassembly, as they say, is the reverse of removal.  Make sure you lube
everything with a good quality lithium grease.  Lithium is resistant to being
washed away with water.

I'd be interested to hear if I am close to the proper procedure from anyone
who has actually done it!  Stephanie, it should be easy to fix your winder
(or window) without a garage.

Good luck!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward