Re: window problem

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: window problem
From: Gordon Burgess-Parker <gordon@burgessparker.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:28:17 +0000
> I haven't gotten this far yet with my Midget, but I will be doing it shortly
> so I can lube the window crank mechanism and replace the rubber seals.  I
> have removed many car door panels in the past and it is usually a
> straightforward job.
>
> You usually have to remove the window crank and any trim parts first. The
> trim parts (around the door opening handle) are normally held on with a few
> hidden screws.  The handle itself will not have to be removed.  The window
> crank may have a clip that has to be removed, or a screw in the middle of it.
>  Then, the door panels are held on with clips around the perimeter.  Insert a
> flat screwdriver at the bottom of the panel, near one of the clips and prise
> outward.  Move to the next clip and do the same.  The panel will become
> easier to pull out, and you can then just pull it off.
>
> Reassembly, as they say, is the reverse of removal.  Make sure you lube
> everything with a good quality lithium grease.  Lithium is resistant to being
> washed away with water.
>
> I'd be interested to hear if I am close to the proper procedure from anyone
> who has actually done it!  Stephanie, it should be easy to fix your winder
> (or window) without a garage.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Allen Hefner
> SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
> '77 Midget
> '92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

One of the things we Brits do before replacing the trim is to glue a large piece
of polythene over the door framf, then replace the trim. Stops water running
down
the inside of the door and into the cockpit. But there again, it doesn't rain in
the good ol' US of A does it? (Duck!)

Regards

Gordon
72 Midget