Re: non-LBC (Volvo) question: Why does a bad thermostat = new

To: Steve@shoyer.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: non-LBC (Volvo) question: Why does a bad thermostat = new
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:41:45 EST
In a message dated 3/14/00 10:59:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Steve@shoyer.com writes:

<< Today we got a message that they recommend
 that the engine should be replaced, which should cost about $6500.  It's out
 of warranty, but Volvo is willing to pick up $4500 of the cost, leaving us
 to pay $2000.  From what I've picked up from my wife's translation of what
 the service person told her, the bad thermostat caused a crack in the head.
 They said that we could try to just replace the head gasket for about $1000,
 but only if we were about to trade the car in. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would certainly not let them get away with charging a penny for this
repair.  You took the car in for the problem BEFORE the warranty was over.
They didn't fix it properly, several times.  The symptoms were the same each
time.

You better have all your receipts, then go get 'em.  Make sure they give you
a loaner car while yours is in for the repair.  Stick up for your rights.
You paid a premium for this car (I'm sure it was more expensive new than a
1980 MBG), it had a warranty, and they failed to fix it.  If the dealer won't
help you, go to the regional office.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget