advice please

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: advice please
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:36:46 -0800
Hi everyone,

Being somewhat naive of the MG market in the US (rather than my native
england), i was hoping that i could ask for some advice.

I am currently considering buying an MGB. It is a 1978 MGB, with sound
mechanics, and rust free chassis and body. Recently serviced and smogged.
Original, but slightly battered interior and soft top. Original paint which
needs touching up, and a noticeable (5") dent in the bonnet by the latch.
90,000 miles, and two previous owners. From what i can gather the present
owner seems to have cared for the car very well.

Any ideas what would be a fair asking price, and also any guestimates as to
yearly maintenance costs, and bonnet-smoothing costs would be very
helpful... i wouldn't want to take on such a beautiful car without being
able to look after it properly. I would be using the car as a medium
distance (say 2 hour drive) weekend trip kind of deal.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated

Thanks!

Joe.

Dr. Joseph Garner
University of California