SU H4 float height

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU H4 float height
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:45:19 -0700 (MST)
Here's a post that's not about BMW and Rover :)

I know how I'm _supposed_ to set the float height (7/16" bar method), but
that is not working correctly.  I'm running _way_ too rich.  New correctly
sized needles (AO) and jets (I measured them, dial calipers are cool!) New
throttle shafts nicely not letting in extra air.  The carbs are the
correct carbs for the engine.  The needles that were in it originally were
incorrect and it didn't run too well, _much_ too lean at high speed
cruise, these things were _huge_, and mismatched to boot!  The AO needles
are the lean spec for the MGA 1600, since I'm at 5000 feet altitude.  They
are much richer than the needles that were in there.  The PO may have put
in superlean needles to compensate for the old leaky throttle shafts?  No
fuel in the floats, so they should be OK.  The float needles are closing
fine.  Either the floats are floating at the wrong level or the fuel's
getting in some other way, perhaps between the jet and the jet bearing.
If I remove the dashpot covers and look into the jets, how far down should
the fuel level be?

Let's see -- what else do you need to know?  Yes, of course I drove the A
in to work today, it's beautiful outside.  And I'm wearing my green MG Car
Company t-shirt.

--
Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.       www.khoral.com/staff/kevins/mgstuff