Re: Venue?

To: "Bruce Burrows" <bburrows@webtv.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Venue?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 16:45:30 -0000
The new MG Car Co are to continue building the MGF, old Mini and Rover n5
series at Longbridge (in fact BMW will build the 75 at Cowley on behalf of
Alchemy, and some power-train people at Longbridge will continue to work for
BMW) until they time-expire.  Rover saloons will not be replaced, and the
old Mini will be allowed to expire as well.  (Mistake, I think, if they
market it right they could well beat new Mini in the UK on patriotism).  New
cars will 'build on the sporting heritage of MG using aluminium chassis and
composite body like Lotus', the man said.  Lotus are sceptical saying it
took them years to get the technology right.  Lotus also only sell 10,000
cars a year with 900 workers whereas Alchemy have said they are looking for
figures closer to 100,000.

The 'stabbed in the back' refers to BMW, not Alchemy, and is felt by Land
Rover workers as well although they feel they have some future with Ford.
There was talk of a strike at Land Rover before the announcement of the sale
to Ford, but Rover car workers and unions in Britain have been realists for
years, ever since communist elements nearly destroyed everything in the 70s.
A BMW dealership close to Longbridge has been daubed 'scum'.  Rover
dealerships have been filmed raising the Union Jack on their forecourts and
lining up Red, White and Blue (old) Minis, and many people have said 'at
least it's British again'.  Some people have referred to 'Germany completing
what it started 61 years ago'.

PaulH.