Re: Venue?

To: bburrows@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Venue?
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:49:58 -0600

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:43:50 -0500 (EST) bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce
Burrows) writes:
> If the MGCC owners are not going to build the MGF (or whatever new
> two
> seater) and the rebadged Rover saloon (now presumably an MG) in
> Longbridge, where will these vehicles be manufactured??  Are they
> going
> to move the works back to Abingdon? (what a great dream)

Ain't nothin' there to move back to.

My understanding is that Rover will keep Longbridge and continue to build
cars there.  BMW is moving the New Mini production from there to another
plant in Britain that they are going to retain.

Alchemy has indicated that they will likely reduce production from the
current 180,000 cars per year.  This probably means the loss of many jobs
at Longbridge.  Alchemy's history is one of cost-cutting.  One of the
pictures on the BBC website shows a union worker with a British tabloid
that says "Stabbed in the Back" in huge letters.  Alchemy is going to
start off with some dicey worker relations.

Seems that Gerry McGovern, the designer for the MGF, saw the handwriting
on the wall when he left for Lincoln a few months ago!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD