MG TF / TD Transmission Info Needed Quick - Thanks!

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>, MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG TF / TD Transmission Info Needed Quick - Thanks!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 15:02:32 -0600
This afternoon I was swapping out the transmission on our '54 MG TF 1500
RHD with spare one that came with the car.  Since both transmissions had
the number 22895 cast in to the top cover, I assumed that they were the
same.  Unfortunately they are not quite and I need to know if the spare
will work in the TF 1500.  The TF 1500 transmission has a TU522 stamped
in to the top of the case next to the cover and the center shift rod
extends back past the gearshift lever and in to a cover that is mounted
with screws on to the back of the shift lever housing.  The spare
transmission has a UU528 stamped in to the top of the casing and the
center shift rod does not extend back in to the case, it is the same
length of the other two shift rods.  Can I use this transmission in my
TF1500 (I assume it is from a TF 1250 or a TD)?  Can I switch the input
shaft from my TF1500 transmission with the one from spare (since it is
somewhat rusty)?

I still don't know what is wrong with the TF1500 transmission.   When I
either the input or output shafts over by hand, even in neutral, it
turns smooth until it gets to a certain point, then it really catches.
There are no broken gears, I assume that it is an internal problem with
a bearing or something where one shaft goes inside another.  Any
guesses?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin Brown  '54 MGTF 1500 RHD, '64 MGB, '71 MGB
Odessa, MO