Rule of 9 and a bit

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Rule of 9 and a bit
From: "Colin Brown" <ccbrown@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:45:08 -0000
Paul, we usually turn to YOU for words of  wisdom! are you having a
bad week!! :>)

IMHO the BLMC 'B' engine in an MGB was never designed to sound like a
sewing machine, but I still lift the rocker head every   second
service (  at 6,000 miles), and I usually find  one or two minor
adjustments, to quieten her down.
Since I have started to use Shell Super Unleaded 'gas' with Castrol
Valvemaster( in October '99) I am conscious that  if VSR sets
n,( much of my mileage is at speed) then  my rocker rattles would
disappear.   So today's rattles are quite reassuring.
For all my former BLMC engines I have always used a 'tight 15thou',
and this worked well in a 1970s Marina and the 'A' engine in a Metro
which was adjusted at 10K and ran untouched then until  it became an
MOT failure at 98k.
Cheers
Colin Brown
'67 B ( ragtop!)