Re: Need Help With Brakes: '75 Midget

To: hurd@boernenet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need Help With Brakes: '75 Midget
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:04:10 EST
In a message dated 3/22/00 8:46:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hurd@boernenet.com writes:

<< I am in the process of rebuilding the brakes on my '75 Midget 1500.  The
 brake line junction just forward of the master cylinder ("pressure
 warning assembly" in parts catalog) was removed and I would like to know
 what to look for in there.  A piston of some sort is frozen in place.  I
 can't find any schematics and would like to know if this rather pricy
 part can be rebuilt.  Any help y'all can offer will be appreciated. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You should be able to rebuild it with a repair kit that is available.  It is
a sort of expensive piece to buy new, so try a rebuild first.  The rebuild
kit is $5.65 and the entire brass assembly is $399.00 in the Moss catalog.
(That is for the brass switch used thru 1975.  The later cast switch is
"only" $145.00 and I don't think there would be any problem changing to that
one, except it won't be "correct" for your car.)

The switch contains a shuttle that will move if it encounters uneven pressure
caused by one side of the dual hydraulic system leaking.  It is a fairly
simple mechanism.  It seals the leaking side and lights the brake warning
light.

Soak the whole thing for a week in paint thinner or some kind of solvent.
Then try to remove the shuttle.  The rebuild kit has new o-ring seals.  Make
sure you inspect the housing before you reassemble it for any major scoring
that could cause it to leak.

Warning: Do not be tempted to buy just any O-rings from a plumbing supply
house to rebuild the switch.  The O-rings have to be nitrile or brake fluid
will eat them.  (Auto stores may carry the correct O-rings if $5.65 is too
much!)

Get a Moss catalog if you don't have one.  Download it from
www.mossmotors.com and order from Ed Kaler (justbrits@aol.com) so he can
continue to pay his AOL bill and stay on-line.  He may even give you a
discount!

Good luck, and let us know how you do with it.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport