Re: BMW commits? and is a new MG what we need?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMW commits? and is a new MG what we need?
From: Marshall Dixon <mldixon@planetcable.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:20:32 -0500
Chris,

I agree with you for the most part. In addition it is enormously expensive,
probably prohibitively so, to launch a new brand in the US. Although we know
and love the mark to generate significant sale it would be a from scratch
relaunch of the brand.

Your right that the expense of getting through the regs is a problem.

As far as the "too expensive to redesign for the US market", I don't
completely agree. The emissions standard are coming into sync, although I
believe the California standards are still  a little more stringent. The
real problem is in crash or more correctly bumper standard, although the US
reduced the standard from 5 mph to 2.5 mph. I think as far as safety Euro
standards are at least as strict or more so then those in the US but ours
are insurance driven. So car damage, in non-fatal crashes, plays a part in
the regs. Of what I've read, safety is designed in by using crumple zones to
absorb a hit, pioneered by MB and volvo. The no damage 2.5 mph has an almost
contradictory requirement, this was implemented to reduce the number of and
cost of insurance damage claims.

I too saw the statement that the F wasn't design for the US and couldn't
economically be converted, actual I read that in a couple of different
publications. I also have seen similar comments from other manufactures and
reports on what needs to be done to exotics to get approved- not just
emissions. Lastly 2 years ago I went through one of BMW plants in Germany
and they pointed out the differences between the "normal" chassis and the
US/ NA chassis.

--
Marshall Dixon
1960 Healey 3000 BT-7 (not yet on the road again)