Re: no-LBC content:......now we're moving more into LBC

To: Tony Woodruff <tonyw@mailmedia.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: no-LBC content:......now we're moving more into LBC
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:11:25 -0800 (PST)
Here's a good example: Compare an SUV and a Tractor Trailer truck. If you
measure the height of the bumper from the road. you will find the Semi is
within spec. but the SUV which is a little smaller is out of spec.
Hmmmm...Pushing the law of gross tonage aside...I'd rather get hit by a Semi
than an SUV (Purely based on bumper height).

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
Alexandria, Va.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:41:42 -0800, Tony Woodruff wrote:

>  If I'm not mistaken, I believe these same regulations are the ones that
forced MG to raise the MGB to a more standard height.  I also heard
something several years ago about why there were 3 wipers - some sort of
regulation about the percentage of the wind-screen that needed to be cleared
by the wipers.

>  Interesting how the US government looks the other way when Detroit is
fudging the rules, but MG was forced to do silly things like put on a rubber
bumper, raise the car's height and add the extra wiper!

>  Tony Woodruff
>  67 MGB (down low and with 2 wipers!)
>

>  >>> Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com> 3/23/2000 9:35:35 AM >>>
>  If you look at the regulations of many states, there is a height at which
>  the bottom edge of a vehicles bumper may be off the ground. Some states;
>  it's 20" maximum. This means that if the bottom of your bumper is any
higher
>  than 20" off the ground, your vehicle is in violation of the law. This
>  equates to a failure for inspection...unfortunately, these laws are never
>  enforced...I think there is some federal regulation somewhere as well.
Just
> [...]
protection
>  on
>  >  their SUV and other large vehicles for crash protection for the
average
>  >  car. A driver of an average car is three times more likely to be
killed
>  in
>  >  a collision with an SUV type vehicle then if the other vehicle is an
>  >  average car.
>  >
>  >  At one point all cars had to have their bumpers and lights within
>  specific
>  >  ranges for the protection of all.  SUV's and Trucks certainly have
voided
>  >  that idea to the peril of the rest of us.
>  >
>  >  I am sick and tired of driving average vehicles and being blinded by
the
>  >  lights of some SUV or pick up that are at my eye height and are
bearing
>  >  down on me.
>  >
>  >  Maybe someday the regulators will act up and require some
modifications
>  >  these gas guzzling behemoths and we can again have a sane set of
vehicles
>  >  on the roads.
>  >
>  >  Bob Reisse, PH.D and proud of the acheivement.
>  >
>  >  At 10:41 AM 3/23/00 -0600, David C Little field wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:18:46 -0500 DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com writes:
>  >  >> 5.   I believe you're the unsuspecting victim of flawed logic to
>  >  >> think that
>  >  >> the roads will be safer without SUVs.
>  >  >>       All things considered, it's the driver not the vehicle that
>  >  >> determines safety.
>  >  >
>  >  >Yes, but the effect of a bad driver is multiplied several times when
>  that
>  >  >driver is driving a SUV.  They are three times as likely to kill
someone
>  >  >compared to car.
>  >  >
>  >  >I'd rather be hit by an idiot in a Neon than an idiot in an Excursion
>  >  >while driving my MGA.  YES!! MG CONTENT _FINALLY_ ACHIEVED!! [insert
>  >  >applause]
>  >  >
>  >  >David Littlefield
>  >  >Houston, TX
>  >  >'62 MGA MkII
>  >  >'51 MGTD
>  >  >'88 Jaguar XJ-S
>  >  >
>  >  >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>  >  >

>  Dan Dwelley
>  77 Midget
>  Alexandria, Va.
>

>  Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
Alexandria, Va.