MG / Speedvision Quandry

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG / Speedvision Quandry
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:29:48 -0500
As I sat watching Speedvision's vintage film replay of the 1955 RAC Tourist
Trophy I noticed something very odd when the MGAs made their pit stops.  One
of the MGAs had a twin cam motor in it.  Now this is 1955!  The other MGA
had the usual OHV motor.  How can this be?  And it was most definitely a
twin cam motor, just like the ones in the production cars... and yes I know
I saw a twin cam MG motor because I could make out the octagon on the front
of one of the valve covers, along with the rounded bonnet.

Yes, I'm very sure it was indeed 1955.  There were TR2s competing, and also
the Austin Healey 100S (built in 1954).  Not that I don't trust
Speedvision's facts or anything.

Speedvision is replaying this episode of Legends of Motorsport, at 1AM EST
tonight.

BTW, both MGAs crashed out when it began to rain... as did the TR2 (which
had quite a bit of braking trouble earlier on).

Cheers,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR-6