TD Piston sizes and general questions

To: mglist <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD Piston sizes and general questions
From: Adam Arabian <arabian@allegronet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:20:55 -0500
Went with a friend of mine to a machine shop where he works yesterday.
Cleaned off the pistons and took some measurements and lo and behold I'm
already at .020 over (also visibile in the 020 punched in the top of the
piston which wasnt previously visible due to the crud buildup.  Not
reported by the DPO...  though even he may not have known since it
hasn't been drivable for years).

This presents a problem as the rust in the cylinders is pretty bad, so
an extra .020 MAY not be enough to clean up the surfaces.  Moss lists
pistons available up to .040 over, and then a .120 over, though the
latter scares me.  Is there anything in between those available
anywhere?

A few other questions as well:

1.  The TD workshop manual implied that .020 over could have come that
way from teh factory.  True?   This is a 51 or 52 TD (DPO said 52,
though based on the engine and body number listing from clausager its
probably mid 51).  This is more of a personal edification thing than
anything else.
2.   Assuming it hasnt already been done, I was planning on shortening
the head as specified in the factory mods to increase compression
ratio.  Would this be a bad idea if I have to go to .040 or .120 over?
I'm guessing so, but...

If anyone has any thoughts on these, I'd quite like to know.  I'd really
prefer to not have to max it out to the 120 over.  Kinda scares me.
Though it probably wouldnt be too much of a problem as it will only see
a few thousand miles a year, I'd rather have it last as long as possible
without exploding.

TIA,
A. Arabian